Friday, November 2, 2012

Magic Ala Mode: Sandy Recovery

As you might have notice, things have been pretty quiet here over on Magic Ala Mode. Many of you in the USA and outside of may know that recently the east coast (mostly Tri-State area) was given a huge blow that we call Sandy (Insert Grease jokes here). Hurricane Sandy was by far one of the strangest weather events I have ever experienced in my life (and trust me, I have been through my share of hurricanes including last years Irene, which was no fun time either!) Sandy truly gave me a lot to think about. I really had thought past 9/11 that New York could really deal with anything, and that nothing could stand in its way. But Sandy proved my home otherwise. New York City and its fellow state sibling New Jersey are not in any sort of condition that could be considered livable, or even functional in most cases.

In my area, we were very lucky that a few trees and some days with no power were the worst of our worries. But I have to just take a moment to reach out to the families in my state that lost loved ones because of Mother Nature. This especially goes out to two young boys that lost their lives in Sandy that happened to live in a nearby town to me called North Salem (you can read about the tragedy here) These deaths are of course terrible, but especially when they hit close to home, including the fact that your family knew these children personally (my cousin's went to school with them and played with them on the local sports teams.)

Now you might be wondering why my frilly and sparkle covered blog is even writing about this? Well as much as I would love to avoid talking about such sad news as this, I need to write about it here because I feel this is the best place I can reach out to people. As a fellow New Yorker, I please ask that if you feel in your heart you could, donate something. If you could take a moment to not buy a new t-shirt, brand dress, or video game credit online, please donate anything you can to help! The residents of New Jersey and New York City, two areas which I know very well and have grew up in (including my family's origin city, Hoboken) need all the help they can get. Here is the list of donation sites and charities that will be able to help what I call my home.

Also, if you know anyone in the area at which Sandy hit, please reach out to them and give them your love and support. And to the fellow frilly Lolitas out there affected by Sandy, please know we can get through this together. I know that I have been lucky in that I have not been hit by the incident as bad as others, but please know we are all here for each other. My love goes out to all involved, and those that are still suffering from the Hurricane. My thoughts are with you all and will continue to be until things are well again.




1 comments:

Fluffy♥ said...

Hey! I live in NY as well (LI) and my area narrowly missed VERY bad damage, what I mean is, about 20 minutes away from me, some people will be spending the next 2 weeks without power, flooded houses, and there's a HUGE gas shortage, to the point where the area has put a restriction on DRIVING. Yeah. It's great that you're reaching out like this! Thank you!

Contributors

Followers

Powered by Blogger.